[labnetwork] How do you handle PDMS in a cleanroom environment?

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Thu Nov 26 11:03:54 EST 2015

Hi Leif --

At SNF, we do allow PDMS in the cleanroom, with certain restrictions.

1.  It must be of the Sylgard 182 or 184 or similar variety, where there
no volatile organics (i.e., no RTV's.)
2.  Mixing and degassing are done outside of the cleanroom (we have a
Thinky mixer in a prep area outside the cleanroom).  This is to prevent
uncured silicone oils from migrating everywhere -- as others have noted,
extremely careful handling is required, but not a skill most of our
students have acquired.  If they spill the mixed PDMS, it will self-cure
within a day.
3.  Uncured PDMS is allowed only in the manual spin coat station (the
one that can be lined with foil, for quick cleanup) and on the adjacent
hot plates, when covered with foil.
4.  Cured PDMS is allowed only in certain tools -- generally, those that
run at low temperatures and are not used for front-end device processing.

We've been able to control it, for the most part, because up to now,
it's been a small population of researchers using this.  But because of
increased interest, we are trying to create establish more processes and
create more work spaces outside the cleanroom, where students can spin
coat, UV or plasma treat, bond, etc.

Mary

__
Mary X. Tang, Ph.D.