[labnetwork] Crucible liner for platinum

Matt Dwyer mdwyer87 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 14:25:00 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I have a 7cc vitreous carbon crucible liner with platinum melt that has
cracked along the walls and base. I want to send this off for reclaim and
put together a new platinum melt but would like advice on what crucible
liner to use. The crucible will be used in two ebeam evap tools, but in one
tool only the crucible base touches the hearth (i.e. not the sides). The
platinum has bonded with the VC crucible and thus cannot be transferred to a
new crucible (I presume I can't just crack the crucible off from the
platinum and put it in a new crucible?).

My crucible material options are graphite, Fabmate, vitreous carbon, and
tungsten. Neyco <http://www.neyco.fr/pdf/Materials_H_Liners.pdf>  recommend
graphite or tungsten. VEM
<http://www.vem-co.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/VEM_Thin_Film_Evaporation_Gu
ide.pdf>  recommend CG (graphite?) or ThO2. Plasmaterials
<http://www.plasmaterials.com/ThinFilmEvapMatSrcRef.pdf>  recommend graphite
or ThO2. Kurt Lesker recommend graphite or Fabmate (not explicitly
recommended).

It seems that no one recommends vitreous carbon so perhaps that was the
wrong material to use for platinum. I suspect tungsten may alloy with
platinum so this may be a poor recommendation by Neyco.  As the reclaim
value covers only ~50% of the cost of new material, I would like to avoid
cracking this crucible for as many depositions as possible.

Suppliers I am considering are Kurt Lesker (graphite, Fabmate) and Sage
(graphite, vitreous carbon).

Thanks in advance,

Matt Dwyer

Grad student, UW-Madison