[labnetwork] FW: Temperature specification for facility process chilled water

Vito Logiudice vito.logiudice at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Sep 21 10:33:48 EDT 2015

Thank you all for taking the time to share so many great insights and experiences.

In my experience running PCW at a set point anywhere from 17C to 18C is usually acceptable for most tools. We’ve run as high as 20C when faced with some desperate conditions at our temporary facility a few years ago and did not see any obvious issues at that time. I share Peter J. Duda’s concerns about condensation but so far running at no less than 15.4C or so (at worst) has not given rise to any issues in any of the past four seasons.

In our particular case, the cleanroom PCW loop is CPVC and it has its own dedicated heat exchanger, filters and primary & backup pumps. However, the water (set & maintained to a conductivity of 20 microsiemens) is shared with the rest of the building with all of it flowing back common to a large, common reservoir (this is an open-loop system with near-zero back pressure on the returns). For a variety of reasons which I am open to discuss over a beer one day, SS was used throughout the rest of the building. What has made matters difficult here is that many of the labs to which the water is distributed have since been fitted with copper pipes. We are seeing minor signs of corrosion of these particular pipes likely due to galvanic effects and the water’s resistivity. No major issues have been noted in our facility or any of the labs so far but this is the sort of thing that sometimes keeps me up at night.

Best,
Vito
--
Vito Logiudice  P.Eng.