[labnetwork] Piranha processing vessels

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Fri Apr 29 09:29:39 EDT 2016

Thanks Bob!

A wonderful example of how "contamination" can be managed by means other
than the paranoia -- something we struggle with as we try to serve a
broader community while trying to keep our electronics and detector
researchers happy.  I would hazard a guess that this works in industry
because distillation is vacuum rather than heated and that an additional
RCA-equivalent clean is used before high temperature processing steps,
thus minimizing the risk of driving in mobile ions.

That said, at Stanford, we do promote paranoia when it comes to
dedicated teflon cassettes in MOS stations because of their propensity
to absorb whatever chemical they are exposed to.  I've not seen any data
that shows cross-contamination due to this, but have seen the results of
off-gassing on wafers stored or heated in chemical bath cassettes.  The
risk of significant carryover of HF into piranha may be very low, but
might be worth considering dedicated cassettes when using pyrex.

Mary

--
Mary X. Tang, Ph.D.
Stanford Nanofabrication Facility