[labnetwork] Oxidation of Si wafers with DRIE passivation polymer

Noah Clay nclay at seas.upenn.edu
Thu Aug 4 09:47:18 EDT 2016

Aaron,

We have a rather high power density oxygen barrel asher that removes Bosch polymer.  If you cross-section a test device, there’s an observable difference in SEM sidewall charging pre- and post barrel ashing.  You may also note the change in polymer mushrooming at the tops of features.  Definitely, use low keV SEM imaging.

It’s been our experience that oxide will not burn off during furnace oxidation; rather, O2 will diffuse through the remaining carbonized layer.

Wet process alternative: EKC 265 from DuPont.  http://www.dupont.com/content/dam/dupont/products-and-services/electronic-and-electrical-materials/documents/ekc/EKC265.pdf

Best of Luck,
Noah

Noah Clay
Director, Quattrone Nanofabrication Facility
School of Engineering & Applied Science
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA

(215) 898-9308