[labnetwork] Heating of BCl3 lines

Vito Logiudice vito.logiudice at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Aug 23 13:08:43 EDT 2016

Hi Nava,

I would definitely heat trace a BCl3 line as I would be concerned about the risk of condensation at any cold spots along the distribution network. I believe the initial cost of the heat trace & insulation would be cheap compared to the possible damage caused by condensing BCl3 inside the lines. I’m sure other, much more qualified people will be able to offer relevant insights on this particular point (perhaps our friends at Critical Systems – Tom?).

If it can help, I’ve attached a screenshot of the installation instructions that came with the heat trace we used for our dichlorosilane lines. If you do decide to go that route, I recommend the heat trace be kept in intimate contact with the gas line via the use of aluminum tape all along the line. One of our heat traces ended up failing because of gaps between the trace and the tubing. I think I learned of this possibility via the lab network where someone had used aluminum tape to minimize the risk of these gaps in their installation (I think it was John Shott from Stanford). If you search past posts you might come across my original posting and the related suggestions; it may have been back in early 2015 if memory serves correctly. We ended up using aluminum tape rated for 350F and subsequently insulated the entire heat traced line from gas cabinet to point of use. We’ve had no issues since then (thanks, John!).

The second attachment is a photo of the insulated line when it first failed. The IR thermometer shows one of the locations (elbow) where the heat trace had failed since it had not been originally installed in intimate contact with the SS tubing at the elbow. Temperatures along the line were typically hovering at 20C but it was measured to be 31C at this particular elbow. The final attachment is a snapshot of the failed heat trace at this particular spot.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Vito
--