[labnetwork] HPM gas survey

Dennis Schweiger schweig at umich.edu
Tue Dec 6 16:34:18 EST 2016

Michael,

here at UofMichigan/LNF we're doing the following;

1) We use coaxial lines for all of our Toxic (NF3, HBr, NH3, BCl3, Cl2,
SiH4, AsH3, PH3, Si2H2Cl2, and mixes of SiH4 and PH3 as dopant) gases.  In
this facility we did not use preformed directional changes for the coaxial
material.  All of the directional changes were accomplished with a 10D
bender.  We do not include the flammable gases (H2, CH4, C2H2, and C2H4) as
toxic gases so they are in single wall material.  We are not using
Hastelloy on any of our gas systems.  All of our gas wetted delivery tubing
is 316L EP finished tubing, typically a Valex 401 series material.

2) All breakable connections in either the Toxic and Flammable gas systems
are in exhausted enclosures.  We're also sampling for those gases in those
enclosures.  In addition, all of the annular spaces in the coax lines are
purged back to the previous "gas cabinet/box".

3) Our flammable gases are delivered from a bunker, where the cylinders are
free standing in the room.  The room is exhausted, and we're actively
sampling for the flammable gases in the bunker.

4) Our LP gases are delivered from a general location, and we have it
installed similar to what your contractor set up.  We're running the supply
header (3/8" tubing) at about 40PSI, and then stepping the delivery
pressure down (20PSI) at the branch (1/4" tubing) to each tool.  We also
have isolation valves at each branch off of the header.  Currently we
haven't had any issues with "starving" the process tools for gas, or in
condensing the gases out within the delivery system.

Nowhere in our facility do we heat the cylinder to increase the vapor
pressure.  We do have sub atmospheric regulators on some of the very low
pressure gases (BCl3, Cl2, HBr).

Take care, and good luck,

Dennis Schweiger
University of Michigan/LNF