[labnetwork] Ge in a deep Si RIE/ICP

Kurt Kupcho kurt.kupcho at wisc.edu
Tue Feb 23 17:17:40 EST 2016

Hi All

Here at UW we have a deep silicon etcher like most academic cleanrooms.  We pretty much restrict the materials allowed in it to Si, SiO2, SiN, and photoresist.  We do not allow any metals in the system.  This is because of worries about mobile conductive ions and micro-masking problems that can occur from using metals in the system.  Recently, we had a student request using Ge in the system.  I know other academic cleanrooms have rather restrictive materials and rules for their Si DRIE systems as well and wanted to get your opinions on allowing Ge in such a system.  Do you?  Is there any problems with contamination or micro-masking?  Any other additional thoughts beyond those two questions are much appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Kurt

Kurt Kupcho
Process Engineer