[labnetwork] Etching NbSe2

Lian, Yaguang yglian at illinois.edu
Fri Feb 26 12:00:20 EST 2016

Mark,

If the fluorine ICP system is used to etch silicon, I don’t think the NbSe2 can give you a big problem. Because after chemical reaction of NbSe2 with fluorine, all the byproducts are volatility. The Boiling point of NbF5 is 236C, SeF6 is -46.6C, and SeF4 is 101C. These numbers are all in the pressure of atmosphere. They will be much lower in the pressure of dry etching. If the pumping system uses turbo and dry pump, it cannot hurt the pump very much.

If the ICP is used to etch SiO2 or Si3N4 films on the top of photoelectric or optical devices (III-V materials), I am afraid the residues of NbF5 can give some side-effects for the devices (dark current?). To avoid the contamination, a clean recipe can be run after NbSe2 dry etching. The recipe should use O2+CF4 as clean gases.

Regards,

Yaguang Lian
Research Engineer
2306 Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory
208 N. Wright St.
Urbana, IL 61801