[labnetwork] Specification for clean dry air (CDA)

Kuhn, Jeffrey G kuhn1 at purdue.edu
Fri Jun 10 08:36:11 EDT 2016

Hello Bob,

At the Birck Nanotechnology Center, the CDA design spec is 100 psi with a -80F dewpoint, but in reality we supply 120 psi. When this facility was built, the CDA system was purchased from a nearby photomask shop that was being closed, so it was not spec’d specifically for Birck. That system included one Kobelco oil-free compressor rated for 173 cfm @ 150 psi, the receiver tank, an Airtek twin tower desiccant dryer, and the filtration system. The system is oversized for this facility, so as a result we see a dewpoint of less than – 140F. At first I didn’t believe it was accurate, but several tests and calibrations proved that it is real. We supply CDA to approximately 21,000 sq. ft. of lab space and to our 24,000 sq. ft. ISO 3 to ISO 5 cleanroom. Not all labs or cleanroom bays use CDA so we have considerable future capacity.

A few years ago, we purchased a second identical Kobelco compressor so we could run them in lead/lag mode and reduce the impact of a compressor failure. They swap duty on a weekly basis, and each compressor is easily capable of supporting this facility. I estimate that the lead unit is loaded no more than 35% of the time. Part of that may be because we run our compressor at well under its maximum rated pressure, and also because the supply pressure is high compared to what the users actually need. Our highest pressure demand is around 90 psi and the cfm use there is quite low. There are some laser lithography tools that require relatively high CDA pressures, so that’s an important consideration when choosing a compressor system. Such was the case in the photomask facility from who we purchased the initial compressor, which is why it is rated to 150 psi.

Like you, we are converting as many N2 users as practical over to CDA in order to reduce N2 costs. This is an ongoing process and we continue to monitor the CDA demand, but so far the increased load on the compressors has been negligible.

I am responsible for the overall care and feeding of the CDA system but the trades do much of the actual work, especially the annual preventative maintenance. We had the local Kobelco service folks do the first few PM’s with the trades in attendance for training purposes, then the trades took over. If we have a component failure that we can’t repair ourselves I will call in the local service rep, but using our in-house folks for PM saves us quite a bit of money. Fortunately, component failures have been fairly rare.

I imagine you are already aware of this, but I would avoid being lured into using oil flooded compressors to save money. I’m sure your facility is sensitive to hydrocarbons like we are, and to me the risk of possible contamination outweighs the additional cost of buying an oil-free unit. If oil somehow gets into your distribution loop, the loop will likely have to be replaced since I know of no way to adequately clean it after contamination occurs. Besides, purchasing all of the filtration and hydrocarbon monitoring equipment needed to keep your processes and infrastructure safe offsets a lot of the higher cost of the oil-free compressor.

Lastly, ISO 8573.1 provides the specifications for the various grades of CDA in case you are interested in meeting a particular ISO spec.

I hope this information was helpful. Feel free to email me directly if you have any questions and best of luck with your new facility.

Regards,

Jeff Kuhn
Facility Engineer
Birck Nanotechnology Center