[labnetwork] PDMS in sputtering tool

Matt Moneck mmoneck at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Jun 18 00:10:10 EDT 2016

Hi Julia,

I would like to echo your comments regarding UGIM.  As a first time
attendee, it was great to meet everyone.  The University of Utah team really
did an outstanding job hosting everyone.  I also want to thank you and the
rest of the Steering Committee for your fantastic efforts.

In regards to your issue with PDMS, we do allow it in some of our vacuum
tools, but not others.   We tend to keep it out of tools that have sensitive
processes/materials or chambers that are harder to clean (this is a
precaution in the event outgassing and contamination does occur despite have
procedures in place to avoid it).  However, the real key in my opinion is to
minimize the chance for uncured PDMS or high temperatures to cause
outgassing.  Before a user is allowed to put PDMS in a tool, we request
information about PDMS mixing ratio and curing procedures.  Our main concern
is that improper mixing and/or curing will result in residual uncured PDMS
that will outgas into the chamber.  Typically we see mixing ratios of 10:1
(PDMS : curing agent).  If the mixing ratio is too high (say 20:1), there is
a greater chance uncured PDMS will cause problems.  We also prefer that
users cure the PDMS with heat (80-120C) rather than relying on room
temperature curing.  Once approved, we also limit and monitor the sputtering
recipes, allowing only low power DC magnetron depositions to minimize the
heat generated during sputtering.  With these procedures in place, we have
had good success with deposition of Al, Au, and several other metals.

I believe the answer to your second question really depends on the size and
structure of the fab.  A little over one year ago our structure changed to
now include a Faculty Director, Executive Manager (me), Equipment Manager, 2
Process Engineers, and 2 Technicians. We have approximately 180 users
(internal and external) per year, and the vast majority of our users come
into the fab and perform their own work.   Given our user base, I feel that
our current structure works well.  From various conversations and sessions
at UGIM, I understand that your fab has been moving more towards
fee-for-service work.  As that work grows, I could see where it may become
more important to have a business manager that handles contracts, outreach,
invoicing, billing, etc., while a technical manager ensures the fab can
produce and sustain the processes that make the fee-for-service work,
research, and cleanroom a success.  Just my 2 cents.

Best Regards,

Matt

--
Matthew T. Moneck, Ph.D.
Executive Manager, Carnegie Mellon Nanofabrication Facility