[labnetwork] PDMS in sputtering tool

Sandrine Martin sandrine at umich.edu
Sat Jun 18 15:18:54 EDT 2016

Hello Julia,

Regarding your 2nd question, I think that yes it depends on the size of the
facility (and user community / external organizations), but also the amount
of (or lack of) administrative/financial services that may be provided by
your university/college/department. If the facility staff have to take care
of all admin tasks (budgeting, inventory tracking, billing/invoicing
including sometimes acting as a collection agency, and general
admin/clerical support), then it will make more sense to have a
admin/business manager than if many of these tasks are taken care of by
other people.
Here at the Univ of Michigan, there is a single managing director (me) but
I get some admin/financial support by leveraging a % of effort from several
admin/financial staff members.

It was nice to meet you in person at UGIM!

Thanks
Sandrine

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 6:21 PM, <julia.aebersold at louisville.edu> wrote:

> Greetings everyone!  I had a great time at UGIM and enjoyed seeing old
> friends and making new acquaintances.  The University of Utah hospitality
> was fantastic.  I do have some questions.
>
> 1.  We have had an aluminum adhesion issue with bubbling under the
> deposited film.  We have had a user put their PDMS devices into our
> sputtering tool and have been told that outgasing PDMS could be the source
> of our bubbling underneath aluminum.  We do not see this behavior with
> other metal depositions.  Do you ban PDMS from your processing chambers?
> Also, we will go ahead with decontamination using sand blasting and solvent
> wipe downs, but do you recommend other processes (i.e. chemical dips for
> parts that can be removed)?
>
> 2.  My second question revolves around organizational structure.  We
> currently have a Faculty Director, Cleanroom Manager (me), 3 Engineers and
> 1 Admin.  Structures and the number of people in facilties vary immensely
> due to size of the facility, but I wanted to know how many split their
> cleanroom manager position into a technical manager and business operations
> manager.  The business operations manager would primarily handle
> administrative tasks and rarely step foot into the cleanroom.
>
> Cheers!
>

> Julia Aebersold, Ph.D.
>
> MNTC Cleanroom Manager
>
> University of Louisville