[labnetwork] Occupancy Sensors in Cleanroom

Matt Moneck mmoneck at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu May 5 15:28:59 EDT 2016

Hi All,

Our university is in the process of constructing a new 8500 sqft cleanroom.
It has been proposed that 30min occupancy sensors are to be used in the
cleanroom bays and chases (one at each end of each bay and chase).
Personally, I have a lot of reservations about using such sensors given
safety concerns created by potential blind spots, especially when staff are
working in tight spots around various processing tools.  In addition, I have
concerns about sensitivity given the noise and vibration in many areas of
the lab.  Does anyone have experience (good or bad) with such sensors in a
cleanroom environment?

Best Regards,

Matt

--
Matthew T. Moneck, Ph.D.
Executive Manager, Carnegie Mellon Nanofabrication Facility