[labnetwork] Gas Abatement & Detectors - Cl2, BCl3, HBr

Michael Hume michael.hume at ualberta.ca
Tue Nov 22 19:09:20 EST 2016

Dear Colleagues,

We have recently installed a new ICP system that uses Cl2, BCl3 & HBr
process gasses. We use a Deltech 859 CDO for exhaust abatement. For gas
detection, we use Honeywell Midas detectors with Midas-E-HCL (HBr/BCl3) and
Midas-E-HAL (Cl2) detector cartridges.

We are seeing readings of 8ppm and 2ppm from the BCl3/HBr and Cl2 detectors
(respectively) in the scrubbed exhaust output of our abatement system when
running a 42 sccm Cl2 plasma.

Is anyone able to provide any guidance or input on what we should expect in
terms of performance from this type of setup? Is it normal to read gas
levels in the scrubbed exhaust? It seems to me that this should not be the
case if the abatement is working properly (but at what efficiency?) The CDO
uses both a high temp burn chamber and water re-circulator.

This is our first tool to use these gasses and we are still experiencing
some learning curves when it comes to understanding the expectations for
the system performance - so any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks,
-Mike.

--

Michael Hume