[labnetwork] DC sputtering ITO arcing problem

Guo, Jing jguo5 at Central.UH.EDU
Wed Oct 19 16:17:30 EDT 2016

Dear All,

Last week we experienced a severe flaking problem on our ITO target (DC magnetron sputtering). While we are looking for the arc spray Al coating, we placed a brand new ITO target with a clean chimney (Alumina grit blasted) into the chamber this week. Once the plasma was on, it was arcing.
The ITO target surface became more metallic instead of black color as shown in the attachment when we checked the target. This is the second time we have this problem.
Did anyone have a similar problem on the ITO target? What could be the reason or solution to solve this problem? The clean chimney was used on Cu target before cleaning process. There is some Cu residue inside the chimney. Could it be the reason that the ITO surface looks more metallic?

Thanks for all the advice and help.

Best Regards,

Jing

Research Lab Supervisor