[labnetwork] MDA System 16 service

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Thu Sep 1 00:43:39 EDT 2016

Michael:

While I don't really know of a source that still services these devices,
I do have a couple of thoughts:

1. The institution with which I was formerly affiliated took a MDA
System 16 out of service in January 2012.  Last I knew ... as of late
last year ... it was still sitting around in the basement.  While it has
not been in service since January 2012, it was fully functional at that
time.  You might want to contact Mary Tang or Carsen Kline at Stanford
to see if they would ship all or part of it up the coast to you to see
if that would get you over your short term need.  Of course, I can't
guarantee that they still have it or that they would be willing to part
with it ... but it's hard to imagine what plans one would have for such
a piece of equipment.  It was used for 16 channels of hydride detection.

2. Have you at least checked the main power supplies for ripple with
either an oscilloscope or a combination of AC and DC voltmeters?  Many
"vintage" pieces of equipment with simple, brute-force power supplied
develop "bizarre" symptoms as their electolytic capacitors dry out and
lose the ability to store a charge.  I've brought many pieces of
equipment back to life ... even without circuit schematics ... by
looking at the ripple on the supposedly DC supplies and replacing two or
three electolytic capacitors.  I expect that a number of the other
members of this community with extensive equipment diagnosis experience
... which sounds better than saying "old timers" ... will agree that
they have solved many equipment problems in old equipment by simply
replacing the tired, old main electolytic capacitors in the DC power
supplies.  While you may be well beyond this stage in your own
diagnosis, I would at least make sure that your problem could not be
solved by replacing $10 worth of electrolytic capacitors. Of course,  I
should add the appropriate caution (which is not needed in your case)
that you need to exercise caution anytime you have the cover off a piece
of electronic equipment with 120 VAC exposed ... particularly given the
fact that if you are probing the main DC supply your probes will be
dangerously close to the live, mains voltage.  Note:  my guess is that a
few 10s of mV is acceptable ripple ... but anything over a volt of
ripple is certainly problematic assuming that this piece of equipment
used either 24VDC or 15VDC supplies.

Good luck,

John