[labnetwork] Decommissioning Silane and Phosphene Stainless Gas Delivery Lines

Bill Flounders bill at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 9 21:32:13 EDT 2016

All,
I welcome the pump purge recommendations and support we all use
our best discretion regarding number of cycles, length of time etc.
Document what you did for your own records.

I disagree with using the term "hazardous waste" for the phosphine tubing.
This sets a precedent in our community that I do not see as justified.
It carries an increased disposal cost and handling concerns.
If you believe the material is potentially contaminated then I encourage
you to propose reasonable and appropriate decontamination procedure.
You have everything you need in house to make this safe for pick up.

In General:
I would pump/purge as recommended to insure safe for disassembly.
Disassemble with appropriate PPE if you consider potentially
contaminated. Treat with water, solvent, acid or base as appropriate
for decontamination and dispose as non hazardous waste.

Due to the high volatility of PH3, I would not consider the pumped/purged
tubing hazardous. If you wanted additional assurance, rinse with water
or alcohol. To verify non hazardous, rinse with water and pH test the
liquid.
Even for a low volatility acid gas such as BCl3, I wouldn't consider the
tubing hazardous waste. But I would document that I gave it a rinse with
mild sodium hydroxide solution, rinsed and pH tested prior to disposal.

Bill Flounders
UC Berkeley