[labnetwork] DC sputtering Zr

Morrison, Richard H., Jr. rmorrison at draper.com
Mon Sep 26 14:37:31 EDT 2016

Hi,

At Draper we have 2 sputter tools for metals, KDF954 (Dc Mag with RF Sputter Clean) and a Lesker Research tool (co-sputter up to 3 targets, DF, RF and Reactive with RF sputter etch).  We allow Zirconium in both tools and we used DC mag to sputter the material. Your operation would consider our sputter tool to be 'Dirty" as we deposit most of the materials you listed.

When we develop a new material we use the Lesker before investing in a KDF target.

We did not see any adverse effects from the sputter of Zirconium. If you are going to use a sputter clean then it is advisable to coat the chamber  and platens with the Zirconium so that you do not cross contaminate your film on the wafer. We do that as a standard procedure.

Rick

Draper
Principal  Member of the Technical Staff
555 Technology Square
Cambridge Ma, 02139-3563

www.draper.com
rmorrison at draper.com