[labnetwork] After Hours Policies - Wet Processing

Michael Hume michael.hume at ualberta.ca
Thu Sep 29 15:30:45 EDT 2016

Dear Colleagues,

We are in the process of re-evaluating our after-hours policies,
specifically in regards to wet chemical processing (eg.
HF/BOE/KOH/TMAH/Piranha cleaning). Historically, we have not allowed these
processes after hours, primarily due to safety concerns. That said, as
demand within our facility grows, and the competence of our user base
increases, the question has been raised as to why these processes can't be
performed within a framework of proper procedures to ensure user safety
(eg. buddy system, etc..)

I am interested in the general approach of other facilities. Does anyone
allow these processes? Does anyone forbid them? In either case what is the
general reasoning for your decision? If you do allow them, what sort of
protocols or policies do you have in place to provide a safe working
environment?

Any feedback you may have is much appreciated!

Michael Hume

Operations Manager

University of Alberta - nanoFAB

W1-060 ECERF Building