[labnetwork] sound absorbing wall panels

Luciani, Vincent (Fed) Vincent.Luciani at nist.gov
Fri Apr 7 09:33:26 EDT 2017

Hello Esta,

I am by no means an expert on this topic but I have one lesson learned I will share with you.  We have used  a type of open cell foam on our walls in our imaging labs and, by in large, it does what it is supposed to do with regard to sound absorption.  My only complaint is that it dries out and sheds particles.  Places like around doors, door handles, light switches or anywhere there may be friction or any place that one may come in contact with it will crack and shed.   The picture attached is an example of the foam where it is constantly touched.  If I were to do it again, I am sure this problem can be engineered away somehow.

Best,
Vince

Vincent K. Luciani
NanoFab Manager