[labnetwork] Perspectives on equipment management software

Sandrine Martin sandrine at umich.edu
Wed Apr 12 08:04:03 EDT 2017

Hello Adam,

We are in a very similar situation at the University of Michigan. Following
some discussions at last year's UGIM, we have also looked at some of these
(iLab is already used here at the medical school, FOM is implemented in the
electron microscopy/characterization facility). We have also looked at
Stratocore PPMS.

Several universities are also pushing for compliance issues to be
considered.  We have not yet made our decision but here are some of the key
points that we are considering:

1- Scheduler and equipment interlocks

2- Administration/configuration
- role management (including tool-specific)
- web/mobile compatibility
- cost model configuration (room + tool charges, consumables charged with
certain tools)
- support of processing services

3- Documentation (tool manuals, safety/lab training)

4- Communication
- to users/staff/PIs/admins (opt in, opt out, preferences)
- tool status and ticket system for request tracking
- direct communication between users (notification of tool down after hours
for instance)

5- Budget and financial tracking
- placing external orders by staff (with electronic management approval)
- expenses assigned to specific tools / lab budget categories
- labor hours assigned to specific tools / lab budget categories
- revenue tracking per tool

6- Reporting
- tool utilization
- revenue, expenses by category/user groups/tools
- for staff, admin, users, PIs

 7- Support
- ongoing operation support
- long term reliability (code development/ database structure for instance)

9- External add-ons / interfaces with facility-specific applications

Good luck!!
Sandrine