[labnetwork] Hot embossing of PMMA

Chito Kendrick cekendri at mtu.edu
Thu Apr 27 10:34:58 EDT 2017

I have a user that wants to replace there PDMS chamber with a PMMA
chamber for a microfluidic cell. They went and brought a low cost resin
press to try and hot emboss it with using either a 50-70 um SU-8/Si
master or a FR4 master (pattern etched into the Copper). They tried a
DRIE silicon master and broke it first press. So far their PMMA print is
distorted across the either 4" wafer due to shrinkage. They are looking
into alternative polymers, but yet to find one. Does anyone have
experience with this type to work?

I am considering trying to etch into the PMMA using an RIE, but 50 um
would be a long etch for our systems.

Regards,

Chito Kendrick

--
Chito Kendrick Ph.D. <https://sites.google.com/site/chitokendrickphd/>

Managing Director of the Microfabrication Facility
Research Assistant Professor
Electrical and Computer Engineering
Michigan Technological University
Room 436 M&M Building