[labnetwork] Metamaterials deposition - Ag and SiO2

Mike Simmons msimmons at intelli-vation.com
Tue Aug 1 17:28:14 EDT 2017

Greetings Esta,

You might consider e-beam evaporation for the Ag and thermal sublimation
for the SiO2 if this is convenient given your machine architecture.
Keep in mind that SiO2 vapor goes everywhere in the system; much more so
than evaporated metals.  If you are hesitant to put SiO2 into this new
system in the first place, consider that it will try to find every nook
and crannie in your new chamber so that you'll want to budget enough
time to take the appropriate precautions prior to deposition.  If those
precautions are taken and the system is properly cleaned after the SiO2
work, I would not expect you to have troubles with future metal
deposition in that system.

We have experience sputtering both of those materials.  They sputter
very well and as is typical, the density of the sputter deposited layer
is generally greater than the evaporated layer, so that could be factor
depending upon the desired properties of the deposited film.  SiO2 via
sputtering can be done by RF with an extremely low deposition rate, or
with a doped Silicon or doped SiO2 target by DC or pulsed DC
sputtering.  Aluminum is a typical dopant and just a few percent will
make it conductive enough to DC sputter in this fashion, though you'll
have to determine if the doped SiO2 index is acceptable.  The deposition
rate of doped target SiO2 by pulsed DC, while significantly better than
RF, is also rather low unless you have a good reactive sputter control
that keeps the process running high on the hysteresis curve. Overall,
evaporating the materials is simpler and higher rate than sputtering
them, particularly for the SiO2, though the films will be somewhat
denser by sputtering.

Best of luck to you!
Mike

*Mike Simmons*
President, INTELLIVATION LLC
1230 Blue Spruce Drive, Suite 3 *|* Fort Collins, CO 80524, USA
+1 (970) 692-2335 *office**|* +1 (888) 800-9561 *fax***
www.intelli-vation.com