[labnetwork] Heidelberg Direct Write tool

Mark Giulio Chiappa mark.chiappa at ntnu.no
Wed Feb 15 03:38:23 EST 2017

HI Esta,

We were in exactly the same position in the summer, our requirements also included that we wanted a system that could easily combined with our EBL for mix 'n' match.  From the literature it was not easy to determine which system fulfilled our requirements best the µPG or the MLA100.   Myself and our process engineer visited Heidelberg at their HQ to see the systems.

We took wafers exposed on our EBL system as we wanted to see how easily and accurately the HIMT systems aligned to our wafers.

The µPG was quite difficult as the field of view on the alignment camera was so small that it took the HIMT engineer a long time to find the mark.  We also found out that to expose a full wafer or even a sparse pattern over a large area would be very time consuming.
We ruled this system out quite quickly due to.
Having to change write heads,
Not a very easy system to align on (this was based on our user base)
Slow exposures.

The MLA 100 is the system we spent most of the day on.  The alignment is much easier as the system has an overview camera.
The exposure was much faster. The alignment was good on both etched and metal marks.

While there we had a tour of the facility and they showed us the MLA150.  This system is roughly 10X faster than the MLA100 with better alignment specs.
We ended up buying the MLA150 with is currently being installed in our cleanroom.  It's available with 2 lasers 405nm and 375nm.  Backside alignment and greyscale are also options.  Of course it's at a different price point.

I hope this helps.  If you need more feel free to contact me.

Kind regards
Mark

Mark Chiappa
Senior Engineer