[labnetwork] Gas cabinet for F2 premix for excimer lasers?

Dan P. Woodie daniel.woodie at cornell.edu
Mon Mar 6 09:57:07 EST 2017

Sandrine,

We have multiple installations across the College of Engineering, ranging from 10% to 0.1% F2 concentration, and have gone with and without gas cabinets based on the situation. I concur with most of the assessments presented so far. That PEL limits and exposure risks are paramount in a decision, and they trump other regulatory allowances. But even with that, I had to admit that at some point, the concentration gets low enough that you can be safe without a gas cabinet.

In this case, it was for a 0.2% concentration. The cylinder was going to be kept closed most of the time, with limited staff performing the laser cavity refills every 3 – 4 months. We ended up going with the smallest Flow Restrictive Orifice (FRO) for the gas cylinder and doing calculations on the peak room concentration based on the air exchange rate in the space. Attached is a graph with my calculations for this. Based on this, the peak concentration ended up being under 5 ppm, which is still above the PEL, but not too far above the STEL (15 minutes) of 2 ppm. The FRO also helped keep the peak level from hitting too quickly, in this case, it would take about 5 minutes to reach that level.

Even with those safeguards, we choose to install a single gas detector with a simple visual and audible alarm to inform people to leave the lab if there was a release. We felt that the combination of the RFO, the room ventilation levels, and the alarm were enough to provide proper warning. Other situations where a gas cabinet was easier to install or the concentration was higher we went the full route. In this case, based on cost, this was a reasonable level of precaution that the researchers could afford (<$3k) while an installed gas cabinet would have run 10X or more of that.

Happy to discuss further if you want to give me a call or a follow-up email.

Dan

Daniel Woodie
Safety Manager, College of Engineering