[labnetwork] Foundry Service Considerations

Jörg Hübner jhub at danchip.dtu.dk
Fri May 5 03:00:32 EDT 2017

Dear Jacob,
We also do a considerable amount of foundry work. It is rather straightforward for single, established processes but when it gets to development work things are getting more tricky.
Here are but a few of our guidelines:
 As a general rule we define the acceptance criteria on measurable, dimensional features (size, distance, roughness, film thickness, etc) that we ourselves can verify with standard cleanroom characterization equipment. We avoid all criteria that involve functionality of the device in other words functionality that is design related.
We try to involve costs not only for the finished device but also for the different steps toward the device (which is not always possible and depends on the risk/complexity of the task).
We normally charge materials (wafer, masks) separately and independent of the results and return these items to the customer if that is wished.
We calculate process cost including operator, engineer, mask design (if applicable) and multiply by a factor according to the risk and complexity of the task.
We try to explain that all we do is best effort and that is also written in the contract (I know that some lawyers have allergic reactions to that but it describes reality).

There are many more considerations and every development project is special. Do we earn money on foundry work? Yes, but mostly on the single, well established processes tasks. Complex development tasks, more often than not, turn out to be more time consuming than anticipated. Still, we love it out of two reasons: These tasks are a welcoming change and challenge for the process engineers where they can hone their skills. And most important, in normal operations our staff does not go through long, complex, process sequences, so in every complex development project we discover some dependencies and strange behavior that we did not anticipate. In other words once in a while it is extremely helpful to be a demanding ☺ user of your own facility.

Cheers
  Jørg

Jörg Hübner, Ph.D.

 Director

DTU Danchip
National Center for Micro- and Nanofabrication
DTU CEN
National Center for Electron Nanoscopy

Technical University of Denmark

[http://www.dtu.dk/images/DTU_email_logo_01.gif]