[labnetwork] updated survey

Ian Harvey IRHarvey at eng.utah.edu
Wed May 17 20:19:50 EDT 2017

Hear, Hear!

Great question!

Though another possible benefit is to our students and their potential employers.  We are an educational institution, after all.  If it looks like a fab and acts like a fab then maybe we give our students the credibility to be hired by a fab because they have not become lazy.  Too, we hope that when inside the fab they also act thoughtfully and deliberately around some of the dangerous materials they work with.

When I worked in industry, we generally regarded the air showers as not being very helpful to the cause of particle reduction, but the ritual of gowning and the air shower created a transition space for both thought and behavior:  when inside the cleanroom, there are certain behaviors (such as running) that you simply do not do here.  Fortunately we have not built the expense of an air shower into our research cleanroom, but our students are already so prone to taking shortcuts that I wonder if the bunnysuit-assisted culture of "act and think differently here" isn't worth it.

Let the debate rage on!

—Ian Harvey
Utah Nanofab