[labnetwork] updated survey

Noah Clay nclay at upenn.edu
Thu May 18 20:42:11 EDT 2017

It seems most us agree that full gowning is excessive in the non-profit lab setting.  From a training or pedagogical perspective, however, I think full gowning may be important.  In our new user orientation, we explain that our level of gowning is likely too much, yet we're both a research and teaching facility - and part of our mission is exposing the nanofab community to common practices found in...

From another point of view, companies seem to be more comfortable with full gowning and I've convinced myself that they'd leave or go elsewhere if we changed our standards.  Since I rely on this community for cost recovery, their satisfaction is important.  My garment laundering contract is about 1 % of the operating budget; industrial fee income far exceeds this.

That said, if an overwhelming number of fellow labs were moving in the direction of disposables, I'd move in that direction as well.  It would be interesting to see if we could converge on a handful of standards for gowning in labs such as ours.

Tom - another survey?

Noah Clay
Director, Quattrone Nanofabrication Facility
University of Pennsylvania