[labnetwork] ZnO etch via ICP-RIE, impact to vacuum chamber?

Sherine George Sherine.George at rice.edu
Wed Nov 15 16:31:43 EST 2017

Hello All,

We have a user requesting to use our singleton Oxford PlasmaPro ICP-RIE
system to etch ZnO via a CF4/Ar mix. This request is based on a paper
characterizing this etch chemistry (attached). The etch mechanism presented
in the paper is the creation of Zn(CFX)y compounds via CF3 radicals and CF3+
present in the plasma that are subsequently removed via Ar+ ion bombardment.

Our primary concern is with the possibility of creation of elemental Zn as a
byproduct that lingers in the chamber with subsequent long term consequences
to the chamber vacuum quality. Is this concern valid? Does anyone have
experience with such an etch involving ZnO and is able to provide guidance
on best practices?

Thanks,

Sherine George, Ph.D.
Research Scientist, Nanofabrication Cleanroom
Shared Equipment Authority, Rice University

Abercrombie, C112
Office: 713-348-4307 |Cell: 217-819-6740 | <mailto:sherine.george at rice.edu>
sherine.george at rice.edu