[labnetwork] Filter replacement inside the lab

Paolini, Steven spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 12 11:01:41 EDT 2018

Please clarify whether you are referring to the pre-filters Upstream of the air handlers) or the actual HEPA filters in the ceiling downstream from the air handlers. In my experience, HEPA’s are never replaced. The best way to determine if the HEPA’s are struggling is to compare the motor amperage draw on the VFD’s with a baseline to the present readings. You must of course, run the motors at the same speed for comparison. If the filters are struggling, the amperage will be lower for a given speed, sort of like a shop vac when the inlet is clogged.

Steve Paolini
Principal Equipment Engineer
Harvard University Center for Nanoscale Systems
11 Oxford St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
617- 496- 9816
spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu