[labnetwork] Dicing Indium Antimonide?

Noah Clay nclay at upenn.edu
Tue Feb 6 21:32:51 EST 2018

Tim,

I worked with this material in industry.  We diced it on a Loomis LSD-150, in notch and break mode.  Scribe and break mode generates excessive dust -> no go...and we couldn’t saw it without capturing the waste water - and, besides, the saw would be contaminated.

While scribing, I’d advise your PI’s researchers to wear a face mask (covering mouth/nose), double-glove and wipe-down the machine as well as nearby table surfaces after each use (alpha wipes and IPA).  The dust will be insignificant, so it can be disposed of in the regular trash along with their outer gloves.  Any wafer fragments that are left over should be placed in a III-V waste container that your EHS will dispose of when full.

You could take things to the next level with swab or wipe tests (using an industrial hygiene company) of nearby table surfaces after 6-12 months to benchmark contamination levels.

Best,
Noah

Sent from my iPhone