[labnetwork] Harkris Chiller Quality issues

Paolini, Steven spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Thu Jan 11 15:46:23 EST 2018

Patrick,
     As ironic as this may sound, my three older (2002-2005) Haskris chillers are the most reliable units that we have! I always liked these because there are no proprietary components in them. Most anything in these units can be purchased off the shelf from an industrial supplier. The older units always had Copeland compressors which can be found in 75% of all commercial coolers and air conditioners. I don’t know how the new ones are set up and if they are trying to cut costs but the water pumps are generally Procon with a GE motor coupled by a sacrificial brass “spider”  It is critical that these two components are properly aligned but if they aren’t, the brass spider wears prematurely before stressing the pump shaft out of true and thus creating a seal leak. I must ask you what the PH of the recirculating water is and if you spike it with any additives. Distilled water is best for these units. Do NOT use DI.
  Steve Paolini
  Equipment Dood

Steve Paolini
Principal Equipment Engineer
Harvard University Center for Nanoscale Systems
11 Oxford St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
617- 496- 9816
spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu