[labnetwork] Cleanroom Lab Coats

Hathaway, Malcolm R hathaway at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Thu Oct 11 21:09:11 EDT 2018

Hi Peter,

So, generally, your "clean room" suit (full suit) is not intended to be chemical protection, but rather cleanroom protection.  "Lab coats", on the other hand, are thicker, and do offer some chemical protection, but as you note, they are not usually cleanroom compatible.  In our cleanroom at Harvard, in areas where serious chemical protection is needed, we provide polypropylene chemical aprons, which are worn over the cleanroom suit.

What class of cleanroom are you working in?  What chemicals are you trying to protect against?

Mac Hathaway

Safety Officer and Senior Systems/Process Engineer

Center for Nanoscale Systems

Harvard University