[labnetwork] Cleanroom Lab Coats

Tony L Olsen tony.olsen at utah.edu
Fri Oct 12 11:28:27 EDT 2018

Peter

I echo previous comments.  I know of no cleanroom clothing or lab coats that are appropriate for chemical protection.  In most cases, cleanroom clothing is seldom considered as PPE (exception: flame resistant fabric).  It is not to protect people, rather protect the cleanroom from people.

We use standard cleanroom bunnysuits, a polyester blend with 1-2% carbon, which provides some minor ESD protection.  The material is also used for cleanroom frocks/lab coats.  For those parts of our lab that are not in the cleanroom, our EHS department suggests flame resistant lab coats, but I haven't done so, yet.

For chemical protection, we use Tychem-SL full-sleeve aprons (now branded as Tychem 4000).  They are polypropylene coated Tyvek.  They are re-usable, but disposable.  I insist on full-sleeve aprons.  Surprisingly, there aren't many options available.  These actually offer better protection than vinyl and are lighter and much more tolerable when wearing for extended periods of time.  The wrist elastic isn't really great for the cleanroom, but I accept it anyway.

I also have Tyvek bunnysuits on hand as a backup - especially for contractors and personnel involved with tasks that are likely to damage garments.  And, I have some Tyvek lab coats, used occasionally for large tour groups.

BTW, I know some industry facilities require flame resistant Nomex cleanroom bunnysuits for maintenance staff - I used to work for one.

tonyO

Tony Olsen
Nanofab Cleanroom Supervisor/Process Engineer
University of Utah
36 S Wasatch Dr, Suite 2500
Salt Lake City,  UT  84112
801-587-0651 office