[labnetwork] Shoe cleaners

Mark Weiler mweiler at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Sep 13 16:10:15 EDT 2018

Hi Chito,

We have some sloppy conditions during the winter here and all year round.  Plus, our entrance is via a cafe.

Our first step, and to avoid over-taxing our shoe cleaner, is to clean the bulk of the matter off with a mud cleaning brush (see attached).  The stiff bristles do remove the larger clumps.  After this step, the user enters the lobby and uses the auto shoe cleaner (with vacuum and HEPA).

[image1.jpeg]

https://www.scrusher.com/products/deluxe-scrusher-with-personalized-base

The key is make sure people actually check their boots and shoes.  Some stuff may stick all the way through the gown donning process.  When users doff their pre-gowning materials and remove their booties while exiting during the dirtiest months,  and do so in the gowning room/area, the clumps that remained stuck to the shoes can now come off within the pre-gown room (or gown room if combined).  We currently have all users completely leave the clean room, remove the CR garments and hang them, and exit the pre-gown room entirely before taking off any of their hair covers, gloves, or shoe covers.  This has kept our pre-gown room and gown room much cleaner, and therefore keeps the Cleanroom cleaner.

Mark Weiler
Equipment & Facilities Manager
Carnegie Mellon Nanofabrication Facility
Electrical and Computer Engineering | Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890<x-apple-data-detectors://3/1>
T: 412.268.2471<tel:412.268.5430>
F: 412.268.3497<tel:412.268.3497>
www.ece.cmu.edu<http://www.ece.cmu.edu/>
nanofab.ece.cmu.edu<http://nanofab.ece.cmu.edu/>