[labnetwork] Phosphorous doping methods

Matthew Moneck mmoneck at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Sep 14 13:59:17 EDT 2018

Hi Iulian,

In the past, we have worked with spin-on dopants from Filmtronics (https://www.filmtronics.com/capabilities/products/diffusants) for our fabrication course and for research.  The advantage is that they don't have the toxicity issues you'll have to deal with using POCl3 (not to say that they aren't hazardous), but they do take some development and also have their pros and cons.

If you're not familiar with this material, they are a phosphorous doped spin-on glass (they have a boron doped version as well).  You can spin coat the sample, do an initial cure on a hotplate, and then do a high temp anneal in a tube furnance to drive in the dopant (typically 900-1200C depending on the dopant).  After doping, they can be removed with HF.

Best Regards,

Matt

--
Matthew T. Moneck, Ph.D.
Executive Manager, Carnegie Mellon Nanofabrication Facility