[labnetwork] Dicing Saw Advice.....

Vlahakis, James James.Vlahakis at tufts.edu
Thu Aug 1 15:04:25 EDT 2019

Hi everyone, I'm hoping the group can provide some advice regarding dicing and dicing saws.

We have a refurbished (within the past 3yrs) MicroAutomation MA1006<https://engineering.tufts.edu/microfab/capabilities/MA1006Saw.htm> saw which requires significant time/resources to keep online. Unfortunately, it is underutilized, only 1-2 dicing jobs per month. With such poor bang-for-the-buck we're considering alternatives -

  *   A different service provider - maybe our support is subpar?

For those who have similar tools, who maintains them? What are your results?

  *   Purchase a different, hopefully more reliable saw

For those with other saws, what do you have? Can you comment on reliability? Consumable costs? Ease of use?

  *   Remove the saw and do not replace it

Losing capabilities is suboptimal and perhaps sets a perilous precedent (we are university lab, none of our tools are justified *economically*). Have others done this? Can anyone recommend a source for dicing services - specifically for small, infrequent jobs?

  *   Other possibilities we haven't considered?

I'm eager to hear various perspectives and experiences.

jim