[labnetwork] HP 4145A

Brent Gila bgila at ufl.edu
Fri Feb 8 10:37:14 EST 2019

Hello Dave,

I believe the software was $1500 (with educational discount) and it
requires a UBS dongle key, so you can't clone it easily.  I know a lot
of people write their own in labview, we had some available funds so
took a shortcut.

The program works for many different devices that you can select in the
software, so that is a plus, no need to rewrite the labview when
reconfiguring a test station..  One researcher here had 3 or 4
components hooked to the same computer (stacked GP-IB cables) and was
able to do quite a bit with the Metrics interface.  The nice thing is
the data is output in a standard csv format, which you can also do in
labview.

Is it cost effective, it was to us.  But that is a matter of opinion and
the situation.  There is a reason why people hold onto the older 4145
units and 3rd parties support them, they are really good units and a new
one is over $40k.

Best Regards,
Brent