[labnetwork] Cost-recovery model

Xin (Shane) Guo sguo18 at yorku.ca
Wed Jan 30 14:04:46 EST 2019

Hi Colleagues,

We are building a microfabrication lab (small scale, standard basic instruments such as ebeam, sputtering, RIE, PECVD, lithography tools, etc).

We are trying to understand how each facility recovers their cost on supplies, labour, maintenance, etc.

Is your annual user fee collected sufficient to cover all your expenses including salary payment of the lab manager?

Does your institution or department subsidise your facility? What is your financial model?

All suggestions are welcome, especially those from Canadian institutions.

Cheers

Shane