[labnetwork] Argon in a BCl3 cylinder

John D Shott shott at stanford.edu
Wed Jun 19 20:47:56 EDT 2019

Sean:

Just to add a bit to the others comments.

My guess was that, when full, this was something like a 5 or a 9 lb cylinder … or maybe 2.5 or 4 kg equivalent. In other words, many moles …

How much Ar did you add? The head volume of the cylinder at a pressure of 25 PSIG minus the vapor pressure of the BCl3. I’m guessing that is a fraction of a mole.

Of course, in the vapor it is the partial  pressure of the two components that determines the initial mixture you are extracting.

However, as you extract gas, argon leaves permanently, whereas the BCl3 is replaced by vaporization.
So, in principle, it will get more and more pure … but never 100%. By estimating the total flow of gas, you should be able to estimate when you get to 99% BCl3 in the vapor, or 99.9%, or whatever you’d like.

For example, starting with equal vapor pressures of Ar and BCl3 (that is a 50% mixture), if you extract one “head volume” of gas, you should be down to 25% Ar. One more head volume of flow, you should be down to 12.5%, etc.

How can you make that happen faster? By chilling the BCl3 so that the Ar is initially the more dominant gas in the mixture and thus preferentially removed.

At least that is the first order analysis I would consider as an old timer …

Good luck.

A word of caution: it might be tempting to put the cylinder in a tub of ice water to reduce the BCl3 vapor pressure and, as a result increase Ar extraction. Remember that BCl3 is water reactive and an external leak of BCl3 would react to form HCl.

Why do I think of that? When I was young … we are talking 1972 or 1973, I think … we had a “Coke syrup canister” full of 50 lbs of SiCl4 for an old epitaxial reactor. To keep the deposition rate constant during a long run, the canister lived in a tub of water to minimize vaporization cooling of the SiCl4. One night the canister developed a leak so that the remaining SiCl4 liquid reacted with the water in the tub and released a whole lot of HCl that corroded everything in sight. Fortunately, this all happened in the middle of the night and we did have a crude scrubber … so nobody was exposed to or injured by HCl. It is, however, not a scenario you want to replicate.

Have a good day.

John

Sent from my iPhone