[labnetwork] Gorilla glass Etching

Kevin Owen kjvowen at lnf.umich.edu
Tue Mar 19 10:05:13 EDT 2019

Christophe,

For a more accurate analysis of the contamination in the glass, if you are
willing to spend the money, you could do VPD ICP-MS. This is what we use to
check contamination from processing in our tools. We use Balazs to analyze
the samples (
https://www.electronics-airliquide.com/our-brands/balazstm-nanoanalysis).
They can check for up to ~35 elements on a sample, and we often do a second
wafer for noble metals (Au, Ag, Pt).

We etch various kinds of glass (fused silica, borosilicate, etc) in our STS
APS system, although I haven't specifically had anyone request gorilla
glass. I use the same cleaning procedure as I would for fused silica,
although our tool isn't all that "clean" to begin with. You could check
cross contamination by running a gorilla glass wafer followed by a clean Si
wafer and sending the latter out for analysis.

-Kevin

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 7:46 PM Christophe Clément <
christophe.clement at polymtl.ca> wrote:

> Hello Labnetwork community,
> I've been ask by a company to etch Gorilla Glass in our DRIE-ICP etcher
> (Oxford Plasmalab 100), where we already etch Si (regular Bosch process)
> and SiO2 etching (Fused silica only). As the supplier of the Gorilla glass
> does not share the composition of this kind of glass, I'm a little bit
> afraid of cross contamination (Potassium and other material that can be
> present in the glass) that can be found during Si etching for example.
> Is there anyone who has experienced etching this material? If yes, what is
> your cleaning procedure after etching Gorilla glass?
>
> Thank you in advance for your answer
> Best
> Christophe
>
> *Christophe Clément*
>
> *Technicien laboratoire*
>
> Laboratoire de microfabrication (LMF)
>
> Groupe des Couches Minces (GCM) *www.gcmlab.ca <http://www.gcmlab.ca>*
>
> Ecole Polytechnique de Montréal www.polymtl.ca
>
> Département de génie physique
>
> * 2900 Boulevard Edouard Monpetit
>
> Pavillon JAB
> Campus de l'Université de Montréal
> Montréal (Québec) H3T 1J4
>

> 8 christophe.clement at polymtl.ca
>
> ( 514 340 4711
>
> Fax : 514 340 4711 # 2417

Kevin Owen
Senior Engineer in Research
Operations Group, Lurie Nanofabrication Facility
University of Michigan
(734) 545-4014