[labnetwork] Outgassing and evaporation of Barium source in MBE

Saba Sadeghi saba.sadeghi at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Nov 21 12:45:43 EST 2019

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has worked with evaporation of Barium using effusion cell in a MBE chamber and I was hoping to get some insight from this experienced community.

I have issues with outgassing of the Ba source; since it is very reactive with air outgassing to get rid of H2 and H2O would take time. I tried to limit the time that the Ba source was exposed to air after cleaning with hexane (it's shipped in mineral oil), but for me it's taking more than two weeks now to reach pressure of below 1.00 E-7 mbar while keeping the source temperature at 400 oC. The base pressure of the chamber is 2 E-10mbar. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and what's the best way to degas Ba before evaporation?

Thanks in advance,

Saba

--

Saba Sadeghi, PhD

Quantum Devices Fabrication Scientist

Institute for Quantum Computing, University of Waterloo

Phone: 519-888-4567 ext. 31111

Email: saba.sadeghi at uwaterloo.ca