[labnetwork] [ICP-RIE] low temperature pseudo-Bosch process

Ethan Morse ethan.morse97 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 17:52:48 EDT 2020

Hi Gloria,

I recently completed an undergraduate thesis on developing a cryogenic DRIE process using SF6 + O2 at -100 °C chamber temperature on an Oxford Plasmalab 100 ICP-RIE. I achieved aspect ratios up to 18:1 for a 20:00 min etch, meaning it would likely be >20:1 if I increased the etch time.

Because my test samples were <4 in., I had to use a thermal grease between the 4 in. carrier wafer and my test sample. This has potential for chamber contamination, but is easily controlled by careful preparation. Otherwise, the process seems quite safe for the chamber and user.

Attached is my thesis for you to read through, along with relevant cryogenic DRIE literature. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Ethan Morse

Texas A&M AggieFab Nanofabrication Facility

ethan.morse97 at gmail.com