[labnetwork] Spinable CNT fibers

Chito Kendrick cekendri at mtu.edu
Mon Jul 20 16:40:09 EDT 2020

A faculty member installed an Easytube CVD system in our microfab for
producing CNTs, with the plan to produce spinable CNT fibers. They are just
using out electron beam for producing the catalyst substrates - currently
electron beam of 10 nm Al that they then oxidize and then 2 nm of Fe - all
on 300 nm of thermal SiO2/Si. They did investigate sputtering Al2O3
instead. So far they have produced CNTs, but have not found the recipe that
will produce long spinable fibers. They are using a H2 and C2H4 gas mixture
and grow around 750degC.

I was wanting to see if anyone runs a user system that they guarantee
spinable CNTs. If so I was wanting to talk, offline, about tuning the
process and possibly getting some of their catalyst substrates to compare.
I have been letting the student work on the recipe development as I have
other issues to worry about and it is their system.

Chito Kendrick

--
Chito Kendrick Ph.D. <https://sites.google.com/site/chitokendrickphd/>

Managing Director of the Microfabrication Facility
Research Assistant Professor
Electrical and Computer Engineering
Michigan Technological University
Room 436 M&M Building