[labnetwork] Deep Reactive Ion Etch Problems

Usha Raghuram usha at stanford.edu
Mon Jul 27 16:13:00 EDT 2020

Pallavi,

Grass can be the result of the following -

  1.   Recipe conditions - balance between etch & deposition that can be controlled by recipe parameters.
  2.  Chamber condition - If the chamber is dirty doing plasma clean will help.  Sometimes, wet clean of the chamber may be required to recover the chamber.
  3.  Micromasking - If there is any sputtering from the mask of metal masks are used, incomplete etch of the hard mask if it is used, resist scum left behind after litho, insufficient breakthrough, etc.

I would suggest doing a qualification run with patterned Silicon wafer to verify the machine condition first and see how it compares to the normal times to eliminate equipment / chamber condition related issues first followed by troubleshooting of the wafer processing.

Regards,

Usha