[labnetwork] Resist coating of tiny pieces

Demis D. John demis at ucsb.edu
Mon Nov 16 20:58:42 EST 2020

In our lab, users will often do the following (I’ve just seen them do this, and asked about it):
• dice shim pieces that are of similar thickness (eg. Within 50-100\microns) of the main sample piece. These will be re-used throughout the ‘fab process.
• shim pieces are same width as the real piece. Eg. If the real piece is 3x3mm 500µm thick, the shim pieces (of any material) would also be 3mmx3mm and 450-550µm thick or so.
• on Nitto Denko Blue tape, low adhesion, sticky side up: place the real piece in the middle, and a number of the shim pieces around the real piece, placed as close as possible to the real piece.  I don’t remember if they do only 4 shims (edges only), or all 8 shims (fully surrounding). Probably cut off some excess tape around the edges to match the vacuum chuck in next step, although I’ve seen them spin with excess tape hanging off.
• place this assembly onto the vacuum chuck, where the vacuum chuck is large enough to support all the pieces - eg. 2.5cm wide.
• after spinning, un mount and bake the small piece by itself. The blue tape assembly can be reused to spin other pieces, although I imagine this can be tricky.

Mostly our GaN users have done this, those who really needed to recover the edge bead regions.
It obviously takes a good amount of extra effort (additional 5-10min per spin), but it appears the point is to reduce the thicker edge bead and produce a larger area of good die, improving contact uniformity as well.
 If they were ok with the the thicker/wider edge bead, they’d just use the chuck that has a small vacuum pedestal (eg. 2mm wide).

I hope that helps!
-- Demis