[labnetwork] Static IP Addresses needed for hardware interlocks

Thomas Lohman thomasl at mtl.mit.edu
Thu Apr 8 11:15:14 EDT 2021

> We utilize a large array of hardware interlocks within our equipment
> fleet that interfaces with our software for access, training requests,
> reservations, invoicing, etc. Each of these relay boxes requires a
> static IP address.  With recent security certificate requirements in our
> institution getting a static IP address for new systems is becoming very
> arduous.

Hi Julia,

I think everyone else has answered this but in general, the most
straight forward approach is to assign the interlocks IP addresses that
are part of a private network and then have a "proxy device" that
handles processing the interlock communications between the LMS software
(that I assume is running in a "cloud" somewhere) and the interlocks
themselves. It would reside on both the public and private network.
This way the interlocks are not visible outside their private network
that you control and you don't have to go through getting an official
static IP address from your institution for them.  How exactly to
implement this will depend on the specifics of your institution's
current networking setup and your LMS.  Hopefully, your
computer/networking folks can assist with exploring an option along
these lines.
  cheers,

--tom