[labnetwork] Please post to listserve (job opening)

Zimmerman, Neil M. (Fed) neil.zimmerman at nist.gov
Wed Dec 29 17:31:24 EST 2021

Job opening at NIST for BS/MS and familiarity with flip-chip solder bump processing
Dear Colleague:
A group of us here at NIST Gaithersburg, MD, USA would like to improve our packaging capabilities.
In particular, we would like to improve the quality of our high-frequency transmission onto dies.
For this purpose, we are hoping to set up a process for researchers using equipment at NIST to perform flip-chip solder bump packaging.  We are not looking for a high-volume production capability, but rather the simple procedure that could be used by researchers working with small numbers of dies.
In order to accomplish this, we hope to procure the services of a limited-term (1 - 2 years initially) employee who will develop this new capability for us.  If this succeeds, there would be a possibility of making this a longer-term position.
We would greatly appreciate i) passing this onto qualified candidates and ii) suggestions as to other places we could advertise this.
Appended please find a job description; if you think there are other disciplines or areas of expertise that would be helpful to us, please let us know.

Job Description: Electrical or Mechanical Engineer
Duties: Support the Nanoscale Device Characterization Division program by further developing solder bumping processes as well as the complementary flip-chip packaging procedure for chip to printed circuit board bonding. This includes development of procedures to use existing pick-and-place tools and/or develop custom stamps for solder ball-chip attachment. There will be an emphasis on developing indium solder ball attachment procedures. This also includes development of procedures to accomplish chip-to-printed circuit board bonding using reflow ovens and the subsequent tests to verify good bonding. There is also an expectation that the candidate will be required to interact with other division researchers with multidisciplinary backgrounds including physicists, electrical engineers, and mechanical engineers.
Requirements:

*   Undergraduate or Graduate degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, physics, or related field with significant experience in development of flip-chip bonding procedures.