[labnetwork] ventilated trash can

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Wed Sep 15 12:05:36 EDT 2021

Hi all -

I've previously worked in a lab with duct-exhausted, solid solvent waste
trash cans -- and they're great for user safety and convenience.
However, our Fire Marshall has prohibited them - because if there's an
ignition source in the trash can, the ventilation system will just serve
to fan the flames.

So, in our labs, we have dedicated waste cans for solid waste
contaminated with standard solvents, most of them metal with a step
lid.  These are lined with hazardous waste bags that are labeled with a
list of the standard solvents.  We have ziplock bags at each of the
stations where solvents are used.  Students are trained to double-bag
their waste under the hood and place in the solvent waste can, as they
clean up their workstation.  When the cans get full, a staffer will
collect the hazardous waste bag for disposal.  If students generate
solvent waste that is non-standard, they double-bag in a hazardous waste
bag, fill out a label listing the chemicals, and place the bag in the
collection area.  This means we go through a heck of a lot of plastic,
but we're compliant with local policies.

Mary

--
Mary X. Tang, Ph.D.
Managing Director