[labnetwork] Expanding on dicing saw question

Miller, Timothy J miller at purdue.edu
Wed Sep 22 10:49:40 EDT 2021

Thanks for all of the responses!

I was trying to keep the previous message “short and sweet” but here’s some additional information about our dicing saw situation.

We have an ancient and obsolete Disco 2H/6 that everybody loves to use.  Totally manual, easy to set up, easy to swap between resin and hub blades.  Nearly impossible to find parts for.  Way past due to be replaced.

We also have a much newer Disco 641 that nobody uses.   It has to be one of the most user-unfriendly machines I have encountered in my 40+ years of dicing wafers.  Don’t get me wrong, it’s a wonderful machine if you have large samples that are all identical.  It was a joy to use when we had to trim several hundred solar cells for the solar racing team.   But when every user has a different set-up, or heaven forbid it’s a small sample, (getting the sample rotation aligned become more challenging as the samples become smaller) nobody wants deal with the complexities of the 641.

Since most of our “business” involves small samples – 1” squares, quarters of 2” and 3” wafers, salvaging pieces of broken wafers, etc., we are concerned about ease of programming and aligning small samples.

Pre-COVID we would have visited other sites and checked out other saws.   Not currently an option.  Hoping for good information from labnetwork.  😊

Thanks!

Tim

Timothy J. Miller
Research Engineer
Birck Nanotechnology Center | Room 2287C |
Office:  765.494.3461 | Email: miller at purdue.edu<mailto:miller at purdue.edu>
Wiki:  https://wiki.itap.purdue.edu/display/BNCWiki
iLabs:  https://purdue.ilabsolutions.com/homepage/

[DP-BirckNanotechCtr-H-BG-RGB]